Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Mrs. T Sucks

Another break from packing today -- this one to make the pierogi we started yesterday. We used a potato, onion, and farmer's cheese filling. All told, it took us about 2 hours. Mum and I had quite an assembly line going. I rolled out the dough and mum filled the dumplings. I'd hate to do the work by myself, but it was fun to do with someone else.

I made pierogi (different recipe) once before; I was an undergrad at the time and I attempted the procedure on a tiny table in my efficiency apartment. What a difference making them on my mum's big wooden dining room table!

If you haven't ever had home made pierogi, I highly recommend them. They are far superior to the frozen product in the grocery store. They key, it seems, is rolling out the dough thin enough. We rolled it out so thin that you could see the table through the dough. The resulting dumplings (after being boiled) were very tender and delicate.

The recipe we used came from the same book we used for the plum cake recipe. This is the third recipe I've made from this book; all three have been super. I suspect that this cookbook will become one of my staple cookbooks.

No comments: