Friday, July 27, 2007

Does the USPS take organs?

We are now in the final stages of packing. What you see here is 24 boxes of work-related material that will be shipped to the PRC via the USPS. Cost? 37$ per box. And that's only D's books. Mine (14 boxes) are in the trunk of the car.

We had to fill out a customs form for each box by hand. And because the customs forms are carbon forms with about 10 million layers ("Please Press Hard"), my hand is crippled. The customs forms are a fascinating example of technical writing, though. One of the boxes you have to fill in asks for a detailed description of the box's contents. How does one describe a box filled with photocopied research articles tattooed with annotations from 3 separate readings? Or a box filled with teaching materials (syllabi, example student essays, etc.)? And how does one assess the value ("In U.S. $," the form requests) for these items? Invaluable to me (at least until I finish my dissertation), but certainly worthless on the open market. Being a "good egg," I want to fill out the form to the best of my ability, but I don't think that it was designed for people like me, that is, people who are shipping years of personal research notes to another country because they won't fit in their luggage allowance.

We are sending so many boxes that the local post office is allowing us to drop them off before the post office even officially opens. My parents live in a small town, and the post office workers have been waaaayyyy more accommodating about this whole thing than other branches would have. I don't even have to lug all the boxes into the post office; I just get to back my car up to the loading dock.

It will be a relief to get these things sent. I am looking forward to the drama of their arrival. Will they get to their destination all at once? Will they arrive in stages? The excitement is really too much.

1 comment:

Jim said...

LOL - my nerd ghetto brain read "Activision" instead of the "Activism" on the central-ish box. Seeing that stack annotated with Dwight's handwriting is giving me PTSD!