Tuesday, July 24, 2007

P is for Plum Cake


I took a break from sorting through boxes and packing up my dissertation materials (why is there so much of it?!) to do some cooking with my mum. On the agenda: pierogi dough (for homemade potato-cheese pierogi tomorrow) and Ciasto z sliwkami -- more commonly known as plum cake.

The photo doesn't really do the finished product justice (indeed, it's not really finished yet as it has to cool before I can add a dusting of powdered sugar to the top). It's a lovely golden brown color and smells, oddly enough, like strawberry shortcake. I can't wait to cut into it.

Our cooking adventure almost ended in disaster, though. Our first batch of the cake batter -- a yeast-risen batter -- was a dud. Even when we were making it, it seemed off. Although the recipe description indicated that the dough would be "sticky and stiff" (ha ha), we weren't sure that it should be as stiff as it was (so unpliable that it got all caught up in the beaters and flew in chunks across the kitchen). When it didn't rise properly, we decided to make a second batch, and discovered that I'd forgotten to include two key ingredients: salt and eggs (when my mum had asked me, "are you sure there isn't any eggs in this recipe?" I had replied with a vehement "nope!" Oops).

The recipe is from The Polish Country Kitchen Cookbook by Sophie Hodorowicz Knab (ISBN 0-7818-0882-0). It's my favorite type of cookbook -- chatty and informative, full of historical information, personal stories, and tasty recipes (and was a gift from D). The recipes in this book are arranged according to season. Plum Cake is, of course, in "Summer." And if you're like me and are a total loser when it come to cooking with yeast, have no fear. This one was pretty easy in terms of getting the dough to rise properly.

Recipe: Plum Cake
Source: The Polish Country Kitchen Cookbook

The author writes, "This was one of my mother's all-time favorite summertime dessert cakes. I used to help her mix the batter by hand with a wooden spoon. My arms would get tired! Then one year she bought herself a golden yellow hand mixer. Oh the wonders of electrical appliances!"

2.5 cups all-purpose flour
One 1/4 ounce package active dry yeast
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
5 ripe Italian plums [I just used regular old plums -- and I used 6], halved and pitted
Confectionary sugar (optional)

1. Mix together flour and yeast in a large mixing bowl.
2. In medium saucepan place milk, butter, sugar, and salt and heat until just warm (110 - 120F). Add to yeast mixture along with the eggs. Beat with electric mixer or by hand, scraping along the sides of the bowl frequently for a few minutes. Batter will be sticky and stiff.
3. Spread dough into a 9 x 13- inch greased baking pan. Arrange plums neatly, cut side up, in rows on top of dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place until almost double, about 30-40 minutes.
4. Preheat over to 375F and bake for 30-35 minutes. Cool completely. Sprinkle lightly with confectionary sugar.

Serves 10

No comments: