Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Rate your teacher

Today in class I administered a required midterm evaluation. The students offered feedback about the course's level of difficulty etc., and they were given space to provide written suggestions about how to improve the course.

Here is a sample of some of the comments that students wrote in repsponse to this prompt: "What improvements on the part of the Instructor would you suggest?"

Some comments are complimentary:
"RB is an excellent teacher. She always arranges everything in order. We love her." [I like the use of "we" there -- makes it sound like I have a whole legion of adoring student-fans :-)]

"I my opinion, RB is an excellent instructor." [Rock on with that opinion!]

Some are comments are very constructive:
"It is quite good now, but it will be better if we can have more practise."

"Maybe we should have more homework!" [No problem! And have you ever had students ask for more homework?!?]

Some comments are lukewarm:
"the Instructor is good enough." Ouch! S/he didn't even use my name.

And finally, there is the "WTF" category, which includes comments like this:
"I hope to gain some delicious food when I am hungry. Actually, I will pay for it. Thank you." [Perhaps I should set up a taco bar in class? I could open a little side business selling snacks to my students and subsidize my ticket home].

2 comments:

RunningBurro said...

Wheeee! I am commenting on my own blog. I guess the net nanny is busy right now.

Anonymous said...

"Instructor RB makes strong, good-tasting screwdriver."