Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Street Food


The crackdown on unlicensed food vendors didn't last long. This is good news. One of the more interesting aspects of China are the impromptu noodles stands and whatnot that one finds on most village street corners in our neck of the woods.

Plus, I like the food that the vendors sell -- I'm sure that eating it is strengthening my immune system. We usually stop here for sustenance after consuming a few refreshing beverages the expat bar across the street (an over-priced Brit-owned place called The Old Chinese Junk. Its main virtue is that it's within walking distance of our compound).

I snapped these photos the other night after we placed our order at our "regular" vendor. We got grilled eggplant, lamb (I think), chicken, fish (the whole fish, head and all), and sausage. If you ask, the cook will coat everything in a spicy MSG-chili mixture that I love.

Close-up of pre-cooked food:


Adding the spicy coating:

No comments: