Thursday, August 16, 2007

Fun with Chinese signs, Part I

When our city bus unexpectedly pulled into a gas station to fill up last night, this is what I saw out the window (click the photo to embiggen):
As a teacher of technical communication, this kind of thing fascinates me. I mean, I can tell that it's some sort of warning sign (the yellow color and the triangle give that away), but I have no idea what it's supposed to be warning me about. Don't use a dremel saw to cut my hair? Be careful to avoid low-hanging sprinkler heads?

Clearly, it would help if I could read Chinese. But still. The picture is supposed to alleviate illiteracy, no?

5 comments:

Jim said...

It says: "Warning! Disembodied, faceless, ceiling-mounted heads playing horseshoes." Any fool could see that.

Anonymous said...

And hear I thought it was warning be careful or you may be the broken yoke in the cracked egg.

Anonymous said...

"Caution! Caution! The use of metallic toupees is strictly prohibited. Horseshoe magnets will be used to scalp offenders."

mryonker said...

Your mortar board is so overdue for use it's falling apart.

Graduate before it disintegrates all over you! :)

Anonymous said...

warning... any attempt to steal gasoline will result in removal of left ear