Tuesday, May 13, 2008

12,000

That's the current death toll from the massive earthquake that hit Sichuan province on Monday afternoon. The only effect we've felt here is emotional; a number of my students are from that province.

Some of the details are particularly devastating: 900 students buried under the rubble of one middle school; thousands of workers killed in one factory. It boggles the mind.

Scarier still is the hand, foot, and mouth disease tearing through Anhui and Guangdong province. That's a bit closer to home. My colleagues with small children are a bit worried.

3 comments:

deanya said...

I'm just now hearing about it this morning in my NY Times email. I came immediately to your page and I'm so glad that you guys are alright.

My thoughts are with you.

Anonymous said...

NPR coincidentally had a correspondent already in China to cover an unrelated story. She described the scene of a rainy night, bodies of schoolchildren laid out uncovered so they could be identified by their hysterical parents. So sad!

susansinclair said...

Thank you for posting--I've been thinking about you. And I'm sending my love out to the universe...the best a quasiatheistic can offer just now...and hugs to you & D.