Sunday, December 23, 2007

Steamed noodles from the village


One of my favorite things to do here is walk through the local village. Even when I'm completely sick of being here, I always enjoy the craziness -- the sheer difference that this village offers.

Yesterday, I set out early to the wet market. I wanted to visit my regular fruit lady and stock up on clementines, and I wanted to get some potatoes and onions for a potato salad.

One the way, I needed something to eat, so I stopped a a street side restaurant. All of the cooking took place on the sidewalk. Patrons could then choose to eat under a roof or out in the open. The food is my favorite kind here -- simple. The cook scooped a bit of flour-water from the red bucket on the ground and dumped into one of the trays that she took from the steamer. Then she added a tiny scoop of ground pork from the metal bowl on the table, some bean sprouts. One one tray, she added an egg. All of this steamed briefly, and then she scraped it into a container (I got mine to go) and added a little broth. The result was freshly steamed noodles, to which I added a bit of hot chili paste. Tas-tee.

No comments: