Saturday, December 15, 2007

Neighborhood Mutt


This dog, which I saw on my walk though the village today, is fairly typical of the most common breed of dog around here. It looks like some kind of dog-dingo hybrid. The local dogs (other than the pampered toys mutts in my compound) are a fairly independent type of dog. I never see them on leashes or tied up. They have free reign of the streets. They're not aggressive toward humans, even if they sometimes fight amongst themselves. In fact, they're generally indifferent toward humans. They're smart, too. For example, they seem to understand how to cross the street without getting run over by the crazy drivers. And they can take a nap anywhere. This doggie was taking a nap on a sidewalk, just feet from where a huge group of old dudes was playing Chinese chess. Cars, motorcycles, and bikes were whizzing by on the street, and a local school had just let out for the day -- kids were swarming everywhere. Did. not. matter. I wish that someone would bottle and sell that kind of calm. . .

My favorite local dog is a little rougher around the edges -- a scrappy, filthy little thing with an underbite that makes it look incredibly grouchy. It lives in a dirty little house on one of the main streets in the village, and it lords over its doorway with a kind of haughtiness that I've only seen in cats. I see it every time I go into the village -- one of these days, I'll remember to snap its photo.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought only our Alex was that passive..... nice talking with you this morning

Anonymous said...

I like the cigarette butt stubbed out right next to its smiling face. Either it was smoking (funny) or it ate the smoking guy next to it (more so).