Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Taste of China I

We've found that the English translations that sometimes accompany Chinese characters on restaurant menus are often incomprehensible or not quite accurate. For instance, the place where we ate at yesterday featured a soup called "example soup." Example of what? I wasn't brave enough to order it.

Sometimes, though, the English descriptions are spot on, almost disconcertingly so. When we order "One-half steamed chicken" we received, quite literally, one-half of a chicken, right down to it's little chicken head (embiggen the picture for more detail). I dare say that the chicken looks a bit displeased. I still don't know if we're supposed to eat the head of if it's just for garnish.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh sis....did you eat that poor poor little chicken... I know we eat them every day but not when they are staring back at me OOXX MOM

Anonymous said...

i'd like to see what you would get if you ordered one half of a steamed cat.