Thursday, August 30, 2007

Ok100, how I love thee

In a village near our apartment (within a 20-minute walk), there's a fast food chain called OK100. Their slogan is "You're Okay, I'm Okay!" and of all the restaurants nearby, we've probably eaten more meals here than anywhere else.

Truth be told, we'd probably rather eat at McDonald's if we are going to eat fast food. But we have to take the public bus to get to the golden arches. So Ok100 (or, okioo, as I like to call it) has its obvious advantage.

They've also got some killer stuff on the menu. Like these corn chicken nuggets (a chicken nugget with whole corn kernels mixed in), which are served with something called "sweet acid sauce" (similar to duck sauce).



They also serve taro nuggets (taro is reminiscent of sweet potato). And they fry everything in peanut oil, which is so tasty (and made tastier by the fact that peanut oil here really does have a peanutty taste. This means that their fried chicken tastes like the peanut chicken that you get at US-style chinese buffets).

I have not yet tried their corn slushy -- some kind of blended corn drink that, well, features corn. Corn drinks are insanely popular here. They're treated like a milkshake. MMMm, corn.

They also, inexplicably, serve samosas -- those little pockets of fried Indian goodness.

This is their webpage. It's all in Chinese, so if you're feeling motivated, you can use Babelfish to translate it.

4 comments:

mryonker said...

Urgh. That corn shake sounds like creamed corn, which I think is grody. Like, pre-digested corn, essentially.

I'd stay away, if I were you.

susansinclair said...

I suddenly feel so 70s, for some reason! Fantabulous!

Anonymous said...

I will try this place when I'm in Shanghai - esp. the taro and sweet acid sauce...

Jonathan Benda said...

I'm with mryonker. A corn shake sounds too much like baby food...